History

Scoil Mhuire Naofa, Rhode is a Catholic co-educational primary school in the parish of Rhode, catering for children from Junior Infants to Sixth Class. The current school opened in 1959 replacing the older school building across the road. It was built with 4 classrooms, 2 cloakrooms and toilets. Two classrooms and a general purpose room were built in the mid 1970s and a further extension of a classroom and staffroom in 2006 brought the total number of classrooms to 7 along with a conservatory in 2004 at the front of the building constructed from the fundraising of the Parent’s Association.

The Principal in 1959 was Mr. Paddy Buckley who transferred from the old school. When he retired in 1978, he was replaced by Mr. Gerry Reidy. Gerry Reidy retired in 2004 and Mr. Declan Downey assumed the role. Declan Downey moved to St. Mary’s Girls Primary school in Edenderry in 2007 and Mrs. Mary Bray, the current principal, was appointed in November 2007.

From an initial staff of just three in 1959, the staff of 14 now consists of administrative principal, 7 classroom teachers, 3 special education teachers, 1 special needs assistant, secretary and caretaker.